Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Headboard Project

My husband & I love a project that allows us to re-purpose something & make it better. About a year ago, we came across a booth at Scott Antique Market, (www.scottantiquemarket.com), that had headboards made out of old doors. We loved & it decided that we should consider making one ourselves. We have completed two previous "door" projects so I guess you could say this is our thing. In case you missed the first two door projects, here you go: http://www.pixiedustatlanta.blogspot.com/2012_03_01_archive.html

Some dear friend's of ours were renovating a historic 1920's home in Nashville which included replacing their interior doors. Never one to miss an opportunity for a project, my husband asked them if we could one of them. As luck would have it, they decided to move back to Atlanta shortly thereafter & brought the door to us. Thanks Betsy & Clay!

This project was very difficult to say the least. It took a lot of planning, materials, tools, tweaking and patience. My husband & I worked together to make this happen and we are so happy with the end result. Enjoy and rest-assured that all of my remaining projects for 2013 will be very light in nature ;)

The original door
 
We hired a very capable Project Manager (and he is cute to boot)
 
The first few weeks were handled by my husband & entailed things like this:
 
And this:
 
 
And this:
 
Gotta love a great sanders that your renter leaves behind...
 
At this point, we thought we had made progress:


It was my turn to fill in nail holes:
 
Sand a bit more:
 
Stain the posts (4 coats of grey stain):


Wax the posts (4 coats)
 
And apply the antiquing glaze:
 
After all that, the door looked like this. I went a little over-board with the antiquing glaze. Darn it..


So, I brought in a backup for advice:
 
Luckily, I had a nice acrylic paint on hand in a yummy buttermilk color:

 
I sponge-painted the entire door to soften the "dirty" look. I then went back & added more buttermilk paint just to the center of each piece to make the edges appear darker:
 
We're almost there:

This is the headboard we have been using for many years. It belonged to my husband's family so we wanted to incorporate it into our new headboard:
 
 
We carefully attached it to the back of the new headboard:
 
 
After up-righting it, we attached it to the wall:
 
And we LOVE it!! 
 
 
 



























































0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio