Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Smokey Mary: An Exercise in Stamina and Humor

Visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras requires a great deal of energy, a good sense of humor and an appreciation for odd people. It is a place where you can let your freak flag fly a little higher and I never feel like I am quite cool enough to attend. With that said, this was my second year to ride on a Mardi Gras float with the Krewe of Orpheus, and likely my last for a while so I really tried to soak it all in.

The float we ride is called Smokey Mary. It is a huge, seven car train with blinking lights, loud music and the best of the best throws, (think stuffed animals, glowing frisbees, etc.) People go absolutely nuts when they see (and hear) Smokey Mary coming around the bend. I have such great memories of my experience riding this treasured float, and even better pictures. Enjoy!

Here are some of the other floats in the Orpheus parade:







 A good celebrity sighting never hurts:




Allow me to introduce Smokey Mary!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio